Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Service Life vs. Design Life of Acrylic Windows

Hi Brent,

A perfect safety record, as referenced by Stachiw, is the record of ASME PVHO-1 pertaining to viewports (which is the subject of his book). You are of course free to take whatever approach you want toward building your own submarine. The only issue I see with your logic is that "the most convincing data" available is likely already encompassed within ABS and ASME.

Jon

Brent Hartwig wrote:

Hi Jon,
I'm not one to throw out the baby with the bath water, sort speak. The PVHO, ABS, and other standards have been put together with many thousands of hours of hard work, calculations and testing. What I see Stachiw doing there was part of the push pull aspect that is required to develop a standard. Whether it makes it better, or worse, it's part of the process. Unless one is required to go by a particular standard to be able to have there sub function in a particular way, for a particular purpose, we are able to choose what rules, if any we choose to use. For many of use we are lucky we don't have to have are subs ABS classed or we would be forced to watch from the sidelines. For me I choose to use PVHO, and ABS as a tool, not a bible, and if I find other data that is different then PVHO or ABS from sources like Stachiw, Moorhouse, Nuytten, or the like, I will go with the one that I find to have the most convincing data. What entails a perfect safety record? I know of a 48 passenger ABS, PVHO certified tourist sub, that a local friend of mine was a key part of building in Seattle , called the Voyager that used to operated in Hawaii, that had a hydrogen explosion on it, that seriously injured two of the crew that came into the sub in the morning to get it ready for the day, after charging the batteries over night. There was a problem with the battery bank venting system and the hydrogen built up under the floor plates enough that when the static spark set it off from the two men walking around inside, the explosion a cured, and the floor lifted up so fast it injured the men. There is a chance the company didn't report it or that sub might of been required to got through a complete over haul. *
Regards,*
*Szybowski*