Sent: Saturday, July 18, 2009 4:32 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST]

To all:

   In an effort to test console #6's transmit channel 18 watt amplifier, I found an opportunity to give the 18 hydrophone passive sonar array a test run also. Although this session lacked a preamplifier, some simple conclusions can be drawn from this simple testing. (Only nine of these hydrophones have thus far been installed.)

   I was concerned at first that during periods of training from one location to another, the scratchy contact between the stator brush and its track would cause undue static noise. Turns out that the more one uses this thing, the better it is worn in smooth and no such interference is heard!

   The stator brush controlled hydrophone selector switch assembly worked flawlessly and proved that direct hydrophone to hydrophone comparisons are possible! This will allow for better contact bearing resolutions once a more definite beam width can be determined for a single hydrophone unit. By training back and forth between two hydrophones in quick secession, one can determine into which hydrophones cone of detection a contact is most likely to be found. (switch bounce from micro switches inhibited this feature in the earlier hydrophone selector unit)

   Lacking any underwater transmitter at the time of testing, I trained straight across my 20' above ground pool and by tapping the sides at various placements, I was able to determine that the hydrophone most closely aimed at this location did pick up this noise the best (I repositioned the array and ran this simple test several times with this same result with other hydrophones.) I now see the need for a volume controlled varying frequency underwater transmitter to better isolate the exact beam width of these hydrophones.

   I will resume this testing once a preamplifier, an 18 watt amplifier board of my own, and suitable sound source are secured.

                                                                                                                David Bartsch