Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Salvage Laws

Salvage in the ocean has got to be tough. Not much can be used again after a relatively short time in salt water. Maybe some stuff like stainless fittings, or a newer diesel motor if you get there quick enough.
There's still lots of treasure but now the govt. takes it. There's divers in Florida that get a few coins, but if you find something big, you gotta turn it in. I've heard that if it's a wreck where some one died, you can't even dive there, regardless of when it sank.
I wonder if any one with a little sub gets called on to locate a boat or plane or what ever by the guy who sank it. What's it worth to take a sub out for the day? How would we calculate a cost? I think I'll stick to chasing "Kraken" and making video's. If I put a harpoon on my sub, I might be able to bring back some dinner!
Frank D.