Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] KL-250's Syntactic Foam Data

Be advised, saltines get soggy.
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: Brent Hartwig <brenthartwig@hotmail.com>
To: PSUBSorg <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Sun, Jul 12, 2009 7:53 pm
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] KL-250's Syntactic Foam Data

Hi Vance,

I was hoping to keep the moister in the air long enough to go thru my gel capsules or other type of dehumidifier before it condenses on the walls of the sub. Then send the dry air in tubes to be blown on the conning tower acrylic cylinder, and the forward viewport. Like is done on some fighter planes I've seen.  The whole drier and CO2 scrubber system will be in pressure proof pods so they can be sealed off with valves for wet exit training.

I was just looking at pictures of the interior of Snoopy and Persistence.  In Snoopy other then a few pneumatic and electrical lines, and a few do dads, there really isn't much in the space between the support ribs. All those items could easily be  ;brought in a bit, just like the valves.  How ever in Persistence he's got three electrical panels recessed back into the rib voids.

The inner hull will all be hot dip galvanized, and then coated with a flexible coating like polyurea then the syntactic foam poured or infused in place in sections, then all that coated again with polyurea.  So the steel should be very well protected.

I can easily deal with the little bit of added weight the syntactic foam will add above the axis of the main hull tube. Since I've changed the steel conning tower guard to schule 40 alumumin tubing as per your suggestion, which also hold more air then the inch sqare steel tubing did and the use of inflatable pontoons when at the surface.

Having a couple of towels in any case is a good idea for a number of things.  I just was figuring on starting a camp fire in the sub sub between dives to dry it out Vance. ;}  It was either that or saltines.

Regards,

Szybowski