From: ShellyDalg@aol.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Wed, Jun 24, 2009 9:42 am
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Push Pull Cable Rudder Control Means

In a message dated 6/23/2009 9:23:37 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, djackson99@aol.com writes:
http://www.submarineboat.com/images/submarine/forward_trim_compartment.JPG
Hi Doug. That seems like a low tech solution and is adaptable to many tasks on one of our little boats.
I have considered the oil compensation idea for the actuators, and will investigate it further when I start fabricating the mechanisms.
With the bellows, there will be some drag on the rod, and I'm not sure just yet how that will affect the operation. I think a lot depends on the geometry of the bellows. For sure, there's empty space between the ribs of the bellows that will compress once the bellows is submerged at depth. I'm building a high pressure test chamber and will put these in there to see just what happens when they operate.
As for "wear" on the bellows, they are so cheap that replacement won't be a problem, and carrying "spares" will be easy. Frank D.