From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of Brent Hartwig
Sent: Sunday, June 14, 2009 11:54 AM
To: PSUBSorg
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Diesel storage tank

My welding fabricator relative did some welding repairs on a large old diesel tank not that long ago and had no issues welding thru hulls into it.

Brian the tank you mentioned might be able to be used for an ambient sub or a air holding fairing for a 1 atm sub.

I've been recently told by a ship builder and firefighter guy I know, that steel will absorb some propane in propane tanks over time. Of course those tanks are usually put to a much higher pressure then a diesel tank, so that aids in the propane's absorption.

I suggested that after a propane tank or diesel tank hull had all the welding finished on it, that the whole weldment could be heat treated to remove any remaining fuel in the steel and stress relieve the weldment, and he thought that would work just fine.  For another option it was suggested to me that you could just use a rose bud torch to just heat up the tank enough to remove the small amount of fuel infused into the steel.  This is of course well after the tank has been properly ventilated and opened up.

I've heard of a number of ways to safely cut into a used propane tank, like filling it mostly full with water and then running CO2 or a cars exhaust in thru the top of it. But I was just told about another option that sounded good to me and was interested in what you guys thought of it.

First you open all the existing plugs and valves and ventilate the tank with air blowing thru it for a week. For doing this you could just use a small squirel cage fan with a hose attached to it. Then you reinstall all but one of the top plugs and valves and fill the tank with water. Then you cut your first large hull opening with a plasma cutter. I was told that with water on the back side of a cut, that the plasma cutter will not cut all the way thru the steel, but very close to it.  So then all you have to do is hit the cut out plate with a hammer, and thru it goes.  Any thoughts?

Regards,

Szybowski