Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] 2009 PSUBS Convention - Update 26 May 2009

Ray, I'm in.

Also in for Deep Worker or Aquarius dives.

We can work on finding an excellent pub.

Has anyone contacted the Maritime Museum (home of the Ben Franklin) regarding giving a talk to us or visiting the sub/museum (it's very close to UBC)?  UBC/SFU profs in ocean sciences?  The military?  RCMP divers?  Ocean show at the planetarium?

My opinion: lodging should be close to most of the events, i.e.: UBC area .  We only have a few days together and driving is a waste of precious time.  Phil's can be a special trip and we'll be there all day anyway - not much running around as far as I know.

BTW, UBC is WEST of Vancouver, not south.

Mapquest : I5 (USA) connects with 99 North (Canada) at the Blaine border crossing.  (Passports required - even by car - after June/09!!!)  Continue 99 Northbound over the Oak St. bridge and take the second exit (41B - a 270 degree cloverleaf exit under the bridge) and head West along SW Marine Dr.  A beautiful drive.  It ends up at UBC.

BTW, I have a seven person van - I will be offering rides back and forth (as long as I don't miss events!!)

The ferry costs for Jacques Marc, if he comes in a car, will be about $125 round-trip.  Pay him and buy his lunch.  Ask that he makes his talk relevant to subbers.  IMHO, this is a one-shot deal for most of us - let's not be petty.  If we can afford to fly/drive this far, then dividing his ferry trip among us is nothing, especially with renting a crane and paying for venues.  It really is a rare event and this is our passion.  Let's have him feel welcome!

Potential speakers/sponsors:
Phil, do you know anything about a planned museum for u/w technology?  Ideas for other speakers?

VANCOUVER or BC AREA MEMBERS - GIVE ME AN EMAIL AND WE CAN BRAINSTORM FOR THE EVENT.  Ray & Jon need all the help they can get.

Rick Lucertini
Vancouver, Canada