From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of
MerlinSub@t-online.de
Sent: Saturday, May 16, 2009 3:56 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Submersible Cost and Time to Build

Hi Brian

Typical steel has a pressure strength of 500 N/mm2 but
typical concrete has around 20 N/mm2.

Means if you put the same outside pressure on the sub the concrete
hull needs about 500/20 = 25 times more tickness.

Euronaut has a 22 mm strong steel shell means in
concrete should be around 500 mm thickness to get equal dive deep.

Imagine a sub with 2 meter internal diamter - you can just stand upright.
The steel sub has a outside diamter of 2000 +22+22 = 2044 mm
the same depth diving sub in concrete has 2000 + 500 + 500 = 3000 mm
diamter.

In other words a 15 meter long steel sub has a volume 50 m3 = 50 t in fresh
water
in concrete it has 107 t! For the same speed it needs a
bigger diesel, bigger e-motor, more batteries, less space inside because of
this.
You change cheap steel against expensive batterys to get the same result..

Imagine you have to made an additional eletrical troughull (or 10) in 500 mm
material..
I have even not a single drill for that..

Concrete needs even as cylinder a mould to get a nice flush surface - steel
not.

Concrete is nice for bridges and oilriggs were power, speed and volume
do not matter as item - but for vessels ?

The highest skyscraper of the world are all made from steel..
In concrete the bottom levels can not take the load - or the
walls get much to strong to get practical.

ps: human bones have 150 N/mm2 pr.strength

vbr Carsten