From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Sean T.
Stevenson
Sent: 17 April 2009 09:32
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: Pressure vessel welding

Profile grinding is a means of eliminating stress concentrations which
occur at weld toes or between exposed weld bead profiles, by smoothing
them out and eliminating toe overlaps. Typically encountered in
T-junctions, but also at the protruding edges of butt joint welds, the
toe of the exposed weld can sometimes overlap the parent plate,
producing a pronounced stress concentration at the "sharp" or obscured
interface. Grinding away the toe smooths the interface, drastically
reducing this stress concentration. Imagine a fillet which is perfectly
round between perpendicular plates. The ideal is to have perfect
tangency between the weld fillet and the parent plates, as though it
were a casting with a radius between the two planes. This is not
physically possible in most cases, so instead of a point of tangency you
have a discontinuity at the weld toe where it intersects the plate
surface. Profile grinding acts to create a point of tangency beneath the
surface of the plate, by grinding the weld toe to a smooth transitional
curve. This reduces the stress concentration factor, but increases the
nominal stress since it removes effective plate thickness in the process
- this is why the practice is prohibited in pressure vessel welds, as
strength and not fatigue is the dominant factor governing the ABS and
ASME welding codes. Of course, if you account for the maximum amount of
material you are likely to remove in the process of profile grinding
when specifying the wall thickness in the first place, you get a strong
hull with excellent fatigue endurance, but would technically be in
violation of code. IIRC, profile grinding was employed on the hull welds
in many US Navy subs, but then the military does whatever it wants in
defiance of commercial regulations.

-Sean

Hugh Fulton wrote:

> Can you explain "profile work pls.