Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Vancouver PSUBS

Thanks, Ray - I'll put it on my calendar.

Attendees - you will not be bored.  Try to stay more than just a few days!!

Did you say conference?  We have a wonderful venue at the MacMillan
Planetarium.  The atmosphere (no pun intended) there is really nice.  The
views of Vancouver and English Bay are great.  You have to go on the Mars
Lander simulator.  Bring a puke bag.
http://www.hrmacmillanspacecentre.com/facility_rentals.htm
It's by the water & there's a boat ramp within walking distance at the
Maritime Museum (where the Ben Franklin happens to reside).
http://www.vancouvermaritimemuseum.com/page191.htm

Oh, beaches, too, and Jericho Sailing Club.  Rentals, too.

Also within walking distance from the planetarium and the Maritime Museum is
Granville Island via a seawall.
http://www.granvilleisland.com/en/island_info
Passing moored yachts and a kayak shop (rentals anyone?) along the way, you
end up with a whole host of destinations from high end restaurants to a
glass blowing studio to a commercial model making shop to sipping lattes by
the water as the boats go by to catching a show at the Arts Club to walking
all the way around False Creek past Science World.  There is also a short
foot-passenger ferry across the Creek.  Or you can kayak past floating homes
in False Creek .

Stanley Park is nearby and is a seven kilometre drive around a seawall.  The
mountains are right there across the Burrard Inlet.  Cafe's, etc.  Camera!

Ray - I highly recommend the Boathouse Restaurant in Horseshoe Bay.  Close
to Phil's.
http://www.boathouserestaurants.ca/vancouver-restaurant-locations.php
Getting there, I'd absolutely take Lower Marine Drive from Phil's shop.  It
hugs the cliffs along the water, the houses are gorgeous, the ocean views
are stunning and for anyone with a motorcycle or sports car it's a drive to
die for.  The place is situated by the water in a bay at the base of
stunning, snow-capped mountains.  The seafood is mouth-watering.  I brought
a PSubber and his wife there while they were visiting.  They loved it.

There are speedboat rentals at Horseshoe Bay and are a real treat: boating
at the base of monster mountains, watching the ferries and going for lunch
at the village of Gibson's or maybe to Bowen Island for fantastic berry pie
and more latte's.  Hmmmmmmm.  Beer anyone?

In the same area as Phil's shop and Horseshoe Bay is Grouse Mountain. With
any luck you'll see parasailers, hang gliders or black bears.  Need I say
the hiking is phenomenal?
http://www.grousemountain.com/Summer/summer-activities/
Depending on available time/interest, we can take the Grouse Mountain
Skyride for truly stunning (no hyperbole here!) views of not only Vancouver
from east to west, but also of the lower end of the Georgia Straight, the
Gulf Islands, Vancouver Island and even the Olympic Peninsula in Washington
State.

BTW, I have a Mazda MPV that holds seven.  I can taxi around as host to six
others.  I may even wash it first.  We'll wing it when everyone's here.

Phil, if you need manpower locally during the event I'd be glad to offer my
time.  Drop me a line.

Attendees: if you have any questions drop me an email, preferably on the
list.  Other Psubbers may have the same questions as you or you may jog
something in someone else.

Rick