RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] hydraulic control system

Hi Frank,

I looked at linear actuators but I couldn’t find any that worked at a reasonable speed.  Most appear to move at 1.5 – 2 inches per second.  More force less speed.  What is your take on that.

Nice drawing and concept.  Hugh

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of ShellyDalg@aol.com
Sent: 25 February 2009 06:23
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] hydraulic control system

Hi Dean. I've been playing with that idea for some time now, but haven't started any component assembly yet.

My first thought was to use a hydraulic system because it was pressurized so wouldn't let water in.

Using a scuba tank to maintain pressure in the system, with double acting cylinders set up in a slave/master design to eliminate the pump. I think I've got another, simpler idea.

I'm leaning toward using electric linear actuators for dive plane and rudder positioning.

I don't think pressure compensation will be needed with my latest design.

My thought is to enclose the actuator in a fiberglass housing thick enough to withstand the pressure, and use a bellows for the rod extension. Just two wires per actuator, and no other components or systems to break down, wear out, or leak.

12 volt actuators are inexpensive and come in a wide array of sizes. strokes, and strengths.

The simplicity of the controls is what I like the best. Simple electrical through-hulls, and toggle switches for in/out or up/down.

The fiberglass housings will fit tight against the actuators, so the actuator bodies will provide the structural base to withstand the pressure. Not a lot of empty space in those things and the hard aluminum or stainless bodies are plenty strong enough to withstand the outside pressure.

 There isn't any power loss from transferring electrical power to hydraulics, and it eliminates all the hoses, valves, tanks, pumps etc. needed to move the devices.

There's two power systems on every sub. Electrical and hi pressure air. Gotta have at least those two.

I'd like to eliminate another system if I can. ( like a separate hydraulic system.)

The bellows are pretty straight forward and can be purchased or fabricated. They would of course need to be replaced as they wear, but should be fairly cheap.

My dive planes need a stroke of 4 inches. The rudder needs 8 inches. The bellows fit tight against the 1/2 inch stainless actuator rods, and seal tight with clamps. No sliding seals or O rings. just a flexible bellows.

I'll make a quick sketch and put it up to better explain what I'm thinking.

Frank D.

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3884 (20090224) __________

http://www.eset.com