Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Tangle Guard Removel on K-250 #118

I don't know, Brent. That looks an awful lot like the stuff in George's pics from the factory. Either he did it, or maybe he built it and they installed it. Why on earth anyone would use square tubing I can't imagine. Time to upgrade.
Vance

-----Original Message-----
From: Brent Hartwig <brenthartwig@hotmail.com>
To: PSUBSorg <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 6:54 pm
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Tangle Guard Removel on K-250 #118

The tangle guard on my K-250 was mostly made out of inch square mild steel tubing.  They didn't cap the ends and so it rusted fast. You can see in one picture were the rust even split the tubing.  They welded on the front area of the tangle guard, so I had to cut it off. They also attached the guard in the sides in such a way that I had to cut off one side at the back, to remove the guard.  So I would say this is a good example of how not to attach a tangle guard.  I have reason to believe this tangle guard and the upper conning tower guard were added by the owners and not by George and his crew.

I'm currently planning to replace these guards with 2" sch. 40 aluminum tubing, like Vance suggested some time back. They will be formed and mounted much like the towers on ski boats are done. Then the whole assembly will be blasted and coated with a Rhino type coating.  This way the guards will be some what protected, and they won't be so cold or hot to the touch when you need to grab onto them, and they won't be hard to hang onto.

http://cid-5085d10eb6afe47c.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Tangle%20Guard%20Removel?uc=1

Regards,

Szybowski

=