RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] sonar research

Frank,

   We know your pretty busy! Will keep in touch.

                                                 David Bartsch

From: ShellyDalg@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2009 11:00:18 -0500
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] sonar research
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org

Hi David. Well, sorry, but the test chamber has been on hold for a while. I'm going over to the iron shop for pricing on my stainless ballast tanks this week, and I'll try to get the flanges needed for the window. I want to be able to video the test with a good view of the unit as the pressure builds. I have everything for the chamber except the two flanges. Once I get them, it won't take long to weld it all up. The testing Les did sounds really good. As for the salt water test, relating to the difference between salt and fresh, I'd be surprised if the difference was that great. I wonder if part of the difference was that open salt water has more debris in the water, and any large body of water like a harbor or ocean or whatever is bound to have a lot of background noise from things like tiny creatures clacking away, possible boats within the area, waves slapping against the shore, and generally the ocean is a pretty noisy place. Sound carries really far through water, and with Les testing that system in a pond covered with ice ( BRRRRRR!!!) it would have been a pretty quiet place to test in. I'll get on that chamber, and again, sorry for the delay. Frank D.