RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Colossal Squid Caught off Antarctica

Hi Jürgen,    That sounds like fascinating work.  I've always wanted to study plankton, and the juvenile tropical fish that start there, such as the angle and butterfly fishes. I had at one time planned on trying to commercially raise them. But as it turns out, building a sub to go look at them is cheaper. ;)'  There is some good work in that area being done in Hawaii.   Frank and I will take you down in his squid proof sub, right Frank?  Your sub can take 2000 meters,   right?    ;)   At least it should with the hatch open.

Cheers,

Szybowski

Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 00:14:06 -0800
From: groplias2@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Colossal Squid Caught off Antarctica
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org

Hello Brent
The Colossal squids are amazing animals and we do not know almost anything about them. I work with them but only the juveniles or babys they start really small with only 5 mm total length in the plankton around antactica and with some months and about 20 cm total length they desapear into the deep where they became big predators.  They live offshore so it will be very dificult to see them and I don´t know if somebody is planing to dive in the pacific sector of antarctica about 600 km to the north of the mainland and go down between 500 and 2000 m depth where you can find them, If so please tell me and will come along :-).
Best wishes
Jürgen