RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] My new crane

I'll have a chain fall.  It was quite the ordeal putting the thing on the ground in order to blow tourch the I beams so that I can re weld it to a shorter size.  The thing was used to take engines out of semi's,  a lot of metal 12' up in the air.   We brought it over and onto the ground with a fork lift.  Some sketcky moments until we had it on the ground.  We tied a chain around the top I beam and just backed the fork lift backwards until the forks had all of the top wieght and gently lowered it down.

Brian
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of ShellyDalg@aol.com
Sent: Friday, January 30, 2009 10:29 PM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] My new crane

    Congratulations on your new find. My "shop" is just a slab with a tarp and extension cord. ( as you've seen ) Very much a flintstone operation. A gantry crane would be SOOOOOO cool. I fabricated one several years ago to begin my sub project, but a forest fire took out the whole place. Kinda glad I wasn't working on the sub like I'd planned.( the design has changed a bit anyway. )
    Will you be using a chain fall or do you have a winch for it ? That crane should speed things up, and add to the safety. I almost dropped my sub a while back, using jacks and wedges to lift and turn it. Because it's so round, if it ever got loose, it would surely roll off the cliff. Be careful and remember to have fun. Frank D.