Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pitting Rust against Voids

Hello again. Another useful trick for corrosion and weld bead repair.......After grinding clean and repairing a weld bead, another useful way to "pretty it up " is to run a cover pass over the bead with silicone/bronze from a mig gun or stick welder using carbon arc and filler rod. The silicon/bronze is almost as strong as the steel, corrosion resistant, requires less heat to apply, and when you grind it smooth, it's very easy to see where the sil/br cover pass stops and the base metal begins because of the color difference.
    I remember seeing a weld bead on a psub a few years ago that looked really good, smooth, polished, pretty, and I assumed it was either welded really thick and ground down, or was covered with sil/br. Upon closer inspection I noticed some cracks in the paint and even an area where it looked like the weld bead was lifting off !
Well, as it turns out, the weld beads had been "bondo'd" over and painted. This sub had seen very little water at that point, being recently remade into a very different configuration. Overall, a nice job, but I wonder how many rough spots had been covered with bondo. The sil/br method works well, is easy, cheap, and adds corrosion resistance to areas that may be hard to get to later. I've used it in exposed areas and returned years later to find the steel structure very rusty ( no paint or anything else was applied ) but the weld beads looked like new.  Hope this helps, Frank D.