From: vbra676539@aol.com [mailto:vbra676539@aol.com]
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:30:01 -0500
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Pitting Rust against Voids

Brent.

Both our subs were factory built, maybe even the same year. It sounds like yours had bigger QC problems than mine, as the welds are good all the way around down here in Florida. Mind you, mine was built twice, so to speak. It started off as a K250, which explains the rolled angle iron frames instead of T-frames. It was purchased and returned to George for upgrades, including a three hp aft thruster (which weighs well over 100 pounds!!!!). He also?chopped the acrylic hatch rig off and added a 4 port steel conning tower and steel hatch, too, plus battery pods. The sub has definitely been through the mill a couple of times.

I'm ditching the old thrusters in favor of Minn-Kota 101s, one aft on a pivot and two on a common shaft?just forward of the pressure hull and under the MBT. Taking a lesson from Carsten, I'm going to try them on and off only, without electronic motor controls. That gives me three speeds forward and reverse, and the only worry I have is that even one of those things will be too fast when operating near the bottom. We'll see.

One of the other problems would be that main ballast shell mating area on the hull where you had problems. I hate that, so I'm building two tanks to fit underneath the present shells, which will serve as streamlining and impact protection only.? Each tank will have a six inch diameter extension for the bottom opening and one of my pneumatic poppets on top. This one is sort of a testbed for what I want to do with the next one, so we'll see how it all works out.

As far as the pitting is concerned, well, lesson learned. It's all better now. I plan to keep it that way.

Vance