After the great advice and digging, I am planning on using opposing conical bearings with ceramic seals at
both ends. I am thinking this should keep the bearings clean and trouble free.

Dean

In a message dated 1/27/2009 8:12:15 A.M. Central Standard Time, Jumachine@comcast.net writes:
Dean,

It makes no matter if your keeping 200 PSI in or 200 PSI out.  Your seals still have to be able to stand up to a 200 PSI pressure differential so why pressurized the pod?  Why not just build the pod a bit heavier to take the compression, and don't bother with putting pressure in it.  Carbon against ceramic seals are best if your going to be operating in the 200 PSI range.

For most applications with small horsepower thrusters, the motors ball bearings can handle the thrust load. But for 12 Hp you might want to dig deeper.  Determine what bearing is now on the thrust end of the motor shaft and find it's thrust rating at the RPMs your operating at.  It may be high enough since you have almost no side loading on a prop shaft.

There should be bearing numbers on each bearing.  If not, measure ID, OD and thickness, count the number of balls in it and contact a bearing supplier. They should be able to help you with it's load ratings.  The load is derated as the RPMs go up.  On the other side, a bearing can handle a very heavy load for a shorter time.  You won't need it to operate for 20,000 hours.  A few hundred hours of operations is more then most Psub thrusters will see in their life time.

From there it's simply a matter of comparing the pounds of thrust you'll get from 12HP spinning the prop your using to the bearings thrust rating.

Dan H.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 3:56 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] motor pod seal

I am trying to figure out what to use for a shaft seal for my main motor

I am planning on manually pressurizing a pod made from and air compressor
tank. So I guess what I am looking for is a shaft seal that will take up to 200 psi
internal pressure, this is way out of my expertise.
Any suggestions on what to look for

That and do any of you use bearings for the propeller shaft? All I seem to see
are just bushing types, I am using a 12hp dc motor and it seems to me that a
thrust bearing is in order.

Dean

From Wall Street to Main Street and everywhere in between, stay up-to-date with the latest news.

From Wall Street to Main Street and everywhere in between, stay up-to-date with the latest news.