[PSUBS-MAILIST] Baudot's code underwater communication system?

Hi everybody,

On my side, I was reading the mailing list archives while a saw a conversation on last February about underwater communication system using Morse code. As a scout, I've been interrested because we do use it in games. But as a professionnal, I'm a sign language translator for deaf persons and my wife is deaf herself. Perhaps you know about deaf community, the point is that a tele-typeywriter(tty) is using Baudot code (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baudot_code) So I asked myself if we could use a TTY/TDD as a single or dual frequency transmission. It could have greater range than plain broadband, according to David.

Physically, the transmitter/receiver (the TTY itself) do already exist and using it in underwater communication could be and interresting application of that. There's also softwares that convert any computer into a TTY... In fact two ingeneers from Quebec built a system called SoftTDD and I do use it at home so my computer became a TTY but at a really cheaper price (325$ CAN.) Have a look at http://www.auristar.com/en/ . I have also read about CallTTY/TDD software 2.0. but I dont know about it...

Well, I should buy "Electronic for dummies" and start working on that, but I share with you this idea wishing it could works and interrest someone! What is your opinion?

Thierry Labonté
Montreal Trident Sea Scouts