Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Battery Pods Blunder.

Hi James,

Unfortunately I can't speak to your distortion question, but it certainly sounds like a reasonable approach if you can machine off any distortion after the fact. Perhaps get some rings made a bit bigger than the OD of the pipe to allow for machining off any distortion that occurs?

I didn't reply to your previous post about welding attachment rings to the outside of the cap and pipe, and then just bolting those together with an o-ring seal, but I think that's a reasonable alternative as well. It's true they are not hydro-dynamically clean, but not much of a K-sub is, and I don't think it would be worth worrying about.

Jon

James Frankland wrote:
Hi Everyone.

I made a cock up and just wanted to see what you all think.

I was machining the battery pods with the stainless cladding.  i overdid it on the last pass and machined back down to the mild steel pipe.  oops.

Anyway, i have re welded it all back so im back to square one. But i still dont like this method.
The cladding method is awkward and im going to have to leave a little bevel at the edge to leave enough stainless on (second attempt).

And i dont think i'll be able to clad and machine the cap to have the o ring groove without machining off most of the stainless cladding, it just seems like to much machining.  But the alternative is to machine and paint, but then i have to allow for paint thickness and im sure the paint will end up getting knocked off.

I'm tempted to machine the whole lot off and then get 4 stainless rings made up the same OD as the pipe (12 inch).  10mm thick and about an inch in length and weld them to the ends of the pipe and caps.  Then i can machine as much as i like and get a really good fit.

Would that work?  im not sure i could weld the small pipe tubes on without distorting them?

or, i could get 2 stainless endcaps?  Is that possible?  Not sure and that sounds very expensive.

Any thoughts, ideas anyone?
http://www.guernseysubmarine.com/index_files/Page17625.htm

Thanks
James