Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Soft ballast venting valve

I think you guys are confusing terms. "psi" = pounds per square inch, a
unit of pressure. Pressure (psi, Pa) x Area (in^2, m^2) = Force (lbs_f, N).

The pressure of a water stream leaking into a sub is actually zero (or
rather, equal to the internal ambient pressure) on the inside. The water
gains kinetic energy at the expense of pressure as it flows across the
differential. A small orifice does not restrict pressure from acting
across it at all. 4450 psi acting on a bulkhead with a 1/4" hole in it
will result in 4450 psi developed on the other side of the hole when
equilibrium is reached. 4450 psi acting on a 1/4" plug in that hole will
require ~218 lbs to hold in place (disregarding frictional forces).

I think what you are trying to figure is the force of the water stream -
a function of water density and viscosity, as well as the size and shape
of the aperture and the pressure differential. Effects like turbulence,
cavitation, etc. come into play in determining the mass flow rate of
water through such a leak - you cannot simply assume a lesser
differential pressure based on the aperture area. This mass flow rate is
what determines the force of the water stream, and in the case of damage
control, this force must be overcome in addition to the hydrostatic
pressure to plug a leak. In the simple case above, your 1/4" plug needs
not only 218 lbs to hold it in place, but enough additional force to
insert it through the high velocity water stream (overcoming the
momentum of the water stream).

Your shaft example has an aperture area of ~0.003848 in^2, in which case
the hydrostatic force acting on the interface area is indeed 17.125 lbs
- this would be the force required to hold your leak patch of choice in
place; however, the patch material you use must also be strong enough to
withstand 4450 psi without yielding (or reaching its ultimate tensile
strength) - chewing gum won't cut it. Also, getting a patch installed in
the first place is a different story. A 4450 psi pressure differential
across such an area, once a leak has started, may well result in
supersonic fluid flow across the interface.

-Sean