Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2009 7:32 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Soft ballast venting valve

Hi Brian,

I agree with your concept about shaft/ fitting and thats my reason for being very comfortable with it while Frank is not.

I have to take exception to your clearance. Mayby it's a typo, but 50 thousanths is WAY to loose for ANY O ring seal in mu opinion and extrusion is expected.

I will hace about 5 -10 thousandths. I do this by boring the sleeve slightly undersized then welding the sleeve in place. After welding ream to size with a propersized reamer.

I wish I could get tighter, but doing the reaming freehand that's the best result I can get.

I am also using a Block V seal which I feel is better than an oring.

The idea ame from Gary Sluis.

Best Regards,

Jim K