RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Soft ballast venting valve

Brian,
Ball valves typical get tight from not operating the valve on at least a
scheduled basis.  Care has to be given that sand and/or calcite deposits
occur in the valve which can damage the sealing surfaces or scratch the
ball.  Butterfly valves may be an option as they have a limited capability
to throttle flow where ball valves tend to be all or nothing (100% flow or
0%).  Butterfly valves can also be affected by sand and calcite deposits.
Butterfly valves are available in SS but are very pricey when found.
Another option to contain costs is to use SS lined valves vs. a complete
body of SS.
R/Jay

Respectfully,
Jay K. Jeffries
Andros Is., Bahamas

As scarce as the truth is, the supply has always been in excess of the
demand.
    -Josh Billings