From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org
[mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of Phil Nuytten
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2008 8:48 AM
To: INTERNET:personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ADS NewtSuit/HardSuit Applications

Hi David:
        Life support in the ADS is identical to what we use in the
DeepWorkers:. bellows-add O2 and blower system for scrubber with ability to
go on passive breathing thru' scrubber if power lost. Temp inside suit is
quite comfortable - between the cool to cold outside water and the
exothermic reaction of the scrubber, the cabin temp is usually a little
below room temp. Unless you're in freezing water, of course. I spent 6 1/2
hours on the wreck of the 'Breadalbane' (the northermost known shipwreck)
in the Canadian high arctic in an ADS. Water temp was 28 degrees F. Below
freezing! I wore a bunny suit similar to what I wear under a dry suit or in
heavy gear and was pretty comfortable - got a little chilly towards the
end, tho' .
        Comms are wireless thru-water same as a sub. Suit responds
instantly to your movements - but once we developed the first thruster pack
for the Newtsuit, the pilots never walked again! The thrusters act as limbs
to a surprising extent. If you want to reach for something beside you, for
example, rather than shuffle your feet around, you just lift off slightly
while engaging full turn. The suit can spin vertically on its own axis
(like the DeepWorkers) and you can control vertical and horizontal within
fractions of an inch.
        Re - Claustrophobia . . . psubbers wouldn't have a problem - if you
are willing to climb into a little metal sausage-coffin and go down to
great depths with no means to escape - well, the suit doesn't seem like
you're inside it, more like you're wearing it ( which I believe was Sean's
point) it really is like getting dressed into a set of MK5 gear - or
putting on rain gear and a crash helmet.
Hard to describe - you'd have to try it.
Phil

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 53