Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] ADS NewtSuit/HardSuit Applications

Hi Vance. I think Phil's Deep Workers are "purpose built" and probably have a longer submerged duration as compared to the suits.The "hard suits" are like that in being "purpose built" and have more flexibility but maybe limited durations unless they are tethered and supplied with power. I was reading a little about the joint design. It seems there's a "knife edge" encased in a seal, and the joint is oil compensated with a piston, there by keeping the joint from binding up under pressure. Haven't found any drawings yet, but sounds like a damn good idea. Like you said though......pretty tough to build in a garage!
I wonder if a relatively small person ( girl ) could operate one of those or how much effort is really involved.
I read where the navy has at least one of the newer deep models, using it for submarine rescue, with more on order.
Maybe by using fiberglass as the basic material, a psubber could build one of these at a reasonable cost, although it's depth rating would be much less than the titanium/aluminum ones Phil's got.
Still.....Might be fun to try it out. Frank D.