Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:56 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Annealing / Heat treat

Hi Dan. I've used simple heat treating over the years for various welding jobs, and even done some basic tempering with old school blacksmith techniques. It's fun if you like metalworking. I'm curious to see what gets done to Jim's cone, and how much distortion it causes. I'd guess that for a piece like Jim's cone, it would be prudent to clamp the cone assembly to minimize any tweaking of the part, but with a good oven, that may not be needed. I look forward to any info Jim can give us on the technique and process as it's applied to his piece.
I've found pre-heating especially useful when welding cast parts, with a long and slow cool down period.
Frank D.