[PSUBS-MAILIST] Grain Direction in Rolled Plate

I know a number of professional blacksmiths that make high end knives, and they talk a lot about grain structure and direction in the steel they are working with. They want the grain to run in the direction of the length of the blade. This is also very important in Samurai swords.  Also from my home building days, we usually wanted the plywood or OSB roof sheeting to run perpendicular to the trusses for best strength, because there was more wood grain going in that direction.

So it came to mind that I should also roll my plate steel pressure boundary tubes so the grain would run perpendicular to the support rings. I would suspect that the FOS we tend to put in are design would cover it. But it might just give you the safety margin you need some day.  Any thoughts?

Regards,
Brent Hartwig