RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Compression Time Tables for Wet Exit

Hi all

I'd be very interested in getting a copy of the escape presentation as well.

I had originally thought i would try and encorporate a bottom hatch in my sub simply for emergency escape means.   Tricky on a K350 with limited space, but i think it would have worked.  See the drawing i did here.  http://www.guernseysubmarine.com/index_files/Page8236.htm

But, as Carsten pointed out, the amount of air you need to carry to fully equalise the cabin to open the hatch is such a lot at any significant depth.  And, its a lot more work, so i thought of an alternative.

Ive gone for the removable front dome idea the same as is used on the Nemo Sub.

The idea being that in the event of needing to flood the sub, i would be able to use the following procedure.  (assuming the sub is level on the bottom).

1.  Leave the hatch secured.
2.  Release the dome securing pins.
3.  Don my scuba gear.
4.  Flood the sub keeping my head in the tower.
5.  Wait until the pressure is equalised.  I should still have a bubble of air in the tower.
6.  Kick out the front dome and swim out.

The idea is that it should in theory eliminate the violent rush of air as the hatch is opened that people have been talking about.

Of course, if something went wrong with that, i would have option 2 of opening the hatch as R/Jay has described.

The other thing i thought i could do is:

Calculate how far up inside the cabin the water will come upon opening the flood valve at different depths (with hatch secured).  I  could draw on a scale along the inside of the hull so upon flooding i would know "the water should come up to about here" type thing.  Just to keep the nerves steadyish as you flood.

James