Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Batteries: inside or outside

     Hi Brent. I will have the batteries inside as well, but I'm putting them in sealed stainless boxes. The boxes will have bolt-on lids with gaskets, and the batteries will be clamped in, with the extra space filled with hard rubber blocks. It's not an ideal solution. I opted for this because I didn't want any extra stuff on the outside causing drag or catching on something. Having said that........Putting the battery pods on the outside makes a lot of sense for several reasons.
     First off, there's no chance of poisoning if salt water gets at them, or you smoke them for some reason. With the batteries outside, there's not that much inside the sub that can burn. Good materials choices can minimize the fire/smoke hazard.
    The pods can be made much stronger than the hull for very little extra money, because it's basically just a big pipe with end caps. Having the battery weight slung under the sub in heavy steel pods adds to the stability of a sub by lowering the center of gravity.
    Removal of the batteries is easier when they're in pods. Usually there's a sliding tray arrangement for loading/unloading batteries from the pods. No lifting those 80 pounders into/out-of the hatch!
    I'll start with them inside, but may decide later to go with the external battery idea. Frank D.