From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of Brent Hartwig
Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2008 3:57 PM
To: PSUBSorg
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] 12 Volt DC Lawnmower Battery Test Update

Last year I did a test to submerge a small basic lead acid battery in fresh, and then saltwater to better understand what I was up against if the interior of a sub flooded with exposed unsealed DC batteries in it.  I discovered that unless I directly touch the poles I'm not likely to get shocked in fresh or saltwater, but that the battery will split water into H and O2. So you need to get out of the sub quickly for that reason as well as you don't want nitrogen to build up in your blood if your going to do a fast accent.

After the test I reinstalled the battery in the riding mower it came out of and started it with the battery. The battery is still in the mower and having no trouble starting the mower after sitting without a trickle charger or being used or charged all winter.

http://www.frappr.com/?a=viewphoto&id=4001713&pid=7357670&myphotos=1

Regards,
Brent Hartwig