Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Sub launched ROV

Hi Carsten,

I'm also looking into 300V DC at 3Amps over 20 gauge wire for
power transmission.  This will have a fairly big voltage drop
over 600Meteres (it's go to go there and back), but should
be able to provide usable power.

I'm not so comfortable with the idea the ROV would run
out of power to maneuver and either require time to
recharge or to be left behind.

Aside from the ROV thrusters, I think lighting will be
another big use of power.  So maybe the ROV can run
the thrusters and a small navigation light from the
tethered power.  The main ("Oh wow look at that") bright
lights could be ran from internal batteries.  I'm
thinking that the need to use all the bright lights will
occur less than the need to use the thrusters.  The
internal battery could be charged from the tether.

Yes, I'm in full agreement, small tether equals small
ROV, also smaller equipment on the submarine side.

How powerful do you think your thrusters will need to be?

Cheers,
  Ian.