Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Sub launched ROV

Hi Jay. Entanglement would be the main concern for sure. I've often thought about this, and was wondering how we could make a break-away connection for this application or other types of entanglement hazards.
I've seen some mechanical arms with cable cutters, and that could work. I think it was a Nuytco sub that had an array of tools attached to the hull with magnets, such that the mechanical arm could reach out and change/add a tool. I know that there are some commercial ROV's that have a cable cutter available as an option.
A small ROV with a camera and two motors would be pretty easy to build. A docking "garage" some where on the sub, a means of recording what is seen by the camera so you could steer it, and maybe a drop weight on the ROV so if you cut it loose, you may be able to get it back. The control cable would need a lot of wires, but all low voltage so the cable size could be fairly small and easy to cut.
As for a reel, that is the easy part. a small reel about the size used for Marlin fishing connected to a reversible motor powered by either electric, hydraulic, or even air.
Frank D.