From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of ShellyDalg@aol.com
Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2008 17:59
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] uneven charging

Hi. I'm wondering about the " 3 tons" comment. That's a lot of batteries! Have you made any concept sketches yet? Sounds like a nice big one!

Didn't that S101 have about that many batteries? I remember some where it said they could reach 20 knots  for short bursts. I think that was surfaced and on diesel power, but still would be really nice.

On battery usage.....my 4 Minnkotas at 46 amps each will probably start a fire if I run them all at full power. I've got an electrician friend who will be advising me on the electrical system. I have considered using two sets of batteries. One in use and one on charge at the dock or on board the support boat.( looking at pontoon boats right now ) I still think about the original concept of using a tether down to say 150 feet, with a 220 line powering the motors running off a gen set on the surface. Seems like you could power around submerged all day, and if a problem developed, use the batteries to ascend. The extra available power could offset the extra drag from a line and cable. That doesn't address the entanglement issue, but it would make it possible to put a 20 horse electric motor on board. Bet you could fly with one of those!. Frank D.