To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Saturday, May 10, 2008 12:50 PM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] uneven charging

Jim, forklift batteries are almost always custom assembled from individual cells. All cells are the standard 2.2v. The most common is an '85' cell which is 85 amps and is 22" tall and 6.2" wide. You can specify the number of plates per cell. A 7 plate cell is 2.75" deep and 49 pounds, 9 plate is 3.5" and 61 pounds, 11 plate is 4.25" and 73 pounds, 13 plate is 5" and 85 pounds. Any of those will fit through the hatch, and then you assemble and wire the cells in the battery box (tray) into a battery of whatever size and voltage you require.

The disadvantage to car-sized batteries is: thin plates, and no clearance for slag in the bottom of the battery case. With the current that a sub can pull with all thrusters running, warping of plates is a concern and can ruin a battery. As a battery is used, the lead plates drop slag into the bottom of the case which can short out a battery, again, ruining it. Forklift cells have thick plates, and lots of room at the bottom of the cell for slag. If you've got the space, it's hard to beat forklift batteries.

Ron