RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] PSUBS in Boating magazine

Hi,

I haven't seen the article but I have trained in
Ragan's sub. It is a basic sub. No thrills. Any
surface boater used to modern power boats would not be
impressed.

As for my experience I also dragged the nose through
mud and piloted through clouds of silt.

Ragan has chosen to remove the VBT out of his sub to
open up the interior. Which means neutral buoyance is
hard to obtain. Before getting in Mark guestimates
your weight and you load or off load internal ballast,
then use the thrusters to maintain depth.

Typical of K-boats with its poor directional stability
and no compass you tend to not go in a straight line.
So if you do stir up the silt you will probably double
back and plow through it. Total black out!

I did get a few drops of water from the hatch seal on
my first dive but a few twists on the hatch clamp took
care of that. Of course I dove in the summer and the
seal was warmer.

I put together a video of the experience. Interlacing
two dives with interior and exterior points of view.

Regards,
Ray

Be a better friend, newshound, and