Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2008 3:53 PM
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Dome window

Thanks for the info Jim.  I am from Downunder. Auckland,  New Zealand.  Lots of Coastline but not that easy for a sub to get to, so I m trying to do a tender with Sub inside for transport. Needs to be towable at planing speeds.

Don?t want to have to hire a freighter to get the thing to where I want to explore.  I am a mechanical Engineer, semi retired, so I am finding it all very fascinating and quite a challenge.  When I get all the volumes Ok and the surface buoyancy acceptable I run out of room internally to put the batteries etc.  One thing I would like to know is does ABS state that the batteries must be isolated outside.  I can understand that being a requirement if they are being charged when people are on board but with the modern sealed batteries, monitoring etc .  With all the required room inside it ends up too heavy.  Hard to get them under 2 tons.  Anyway still battling.  Best regards, Hugh