Sent: Monday, March 31, 2008 11:58 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] hatch o ring size

Hi Dean. It's a good idea to stretch the O ring a little so it fits tight in the groove. I got my info from Parker and it's too loose. It just kind of lays in there, and pops out. The sales rep gave me the groove dimensions for the hatch, and I just knew something didn't feel right. The groove is a little larger than the ring, but only a few thousands, per the Parker chart.
 I'm going to get another O ring made, just a little smaller. ( cheapest fix for now ) In the mean time, I added a little rubber cement to hold the O ring in. It stays but I would recommend a slight dove tail on the inside vertical face of the groove. That way the O ring stays put. The Parker catalogue shows a groove like that. The inside face is tapered at about 5 degrees. Not much, but it's enough to hold the ring securely. The groove is a little more expensive to cut, but well worth the extra cost. I'm using a 1/4 inch O ring and maybe later will have the groove re cut with the tapered edge, and use a 5/16 O ring. I'm going to get this thing wet first, and see if it holds. The hatch doesn't fit well on a lathe, so it takes a lot of set-up to get the groove cut ( or re-cut ) so I'm going with what I've got for now. The important part is the finish in the groove and on the opposite face. It's got to be smooth and flat. Get all the input you can before committing to the actual cut. It's a pain in the ass to be looking for a fix, for something this simple. Frank D.

Checked by AVG.