From: jumachine@comcast.net
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] k600 compared to k350
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 11:24:15 -0400

Scott,

As far as I know the K-600 is just a heavier hull.

The K-250 has 1/4 inch thick steel plate for the hull tube and 5/16 inch thick end caps.  The ribs are rolled steel angle. Of course there is the acrylic dome for a hatch cover.

The K-350 has 1/4 inch thick steel plate for the hull tube and 3/8 inch thick end caps.  The ribs are T shaped and fabricated out of 1/4 inch plate.  There are many other differences, like the battery pods, duel drop weights and a totally different conning tower.

The K-600 has 3/8 inch thick steel plate for the hull tube and 1/2 inch thick end caps.  Probably the viewports are a bit thicker also.  The rest of it is almost exactly like a K-350.  The biggest problem is, with all that extra steel there isn't that much room for internal weights that can be swapped out for payload.  Also the extra steel weight is located all round the hull and not on the bottom, so it's not quite as stable as a K-350 in the water.  As far as I know, the Captain only built one or two and never sold plans for it.

I sat in one once and unless you knew the hull was thicker you would think it was a K-350.

Dan H.