From: Smyth, Alec <Alec.Smyth@compuware.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 12:04 pm
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST]too much mbts

Hi Dean,

My experience is with a K250 instead of a K350, but as respects MBTs I think they're close enough for the experience to count. There are two things I would change about the Kittredge ballast tanks:

- Make the opening at the bottom "closed with openings", as opposed to open all around. The all-open tanks burp on the surface if there are any waves, or if you tow. This makes the sub settle considerably, so if you close them but have openings along the centerline, the problem should go away. I suspect the open tanks also contribute to the dynamic instability of the design. If you look at a K boat running on the surface, you'll see they are always going in S's rather than in a straight line.

- Eliminate the "strap on" method of securing the tanks. The strap method of securing the tanks to the pressure hull and putting sealant between the two has leaked on me several times, and is a maintenance hassle.

On my current project, I'm planning on MBTs that have reinforced bottoms and are bolted from below.

thanks,

Alec