From: Brent Hartwig <brenthartwig@hotmail.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 8:52 pm
Subject: RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Coved O-ring Groove

Cliff,

Thank you for your insight and information. I was looking for that software from Park for my self and Jim K. last night.  My drawings were not meant to show what the O-ring would look like under normal loads, but for much higher pressures then it was meant for. I've seen a number of other O-rings in the gland that showed a lot more extra space then I expected there would be. So I'll have to find the balance between the two using the software.

I was conflicting between whether there should be room for the O-ring to compress into the gland, or whether I should fill that gap with a sealant like Paul Moorhouse did on the Alicia subs main pressure hull large flange seal.  I guess I didn't like the idea of the hatch surfaces being metal to metal, since at that point there would no long be any more pressure being applied from pressure on the hatch to keep adding sealing pressure to the O-ring as the sub went deeper.  In any case it's best to just keep the sub with in the healthy operation range of the O-ring that is installed.  But understanding just how different parts of a sub will likely fail when over loaded is useful.

Regards,
Brent Hartwig