From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org]On Behalf Of Jay K. Jeffries
Sent: Sunday, January 06, 2008 11:31 AM
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] PSUB Rescue Efforts Proposal

Dan,

You are correct in your thought process concerning the use of a Schraeder (tire) valve for the possible injection of air into the submersible and the subsequent rise in internal pressure.

The dive industry has moved away from Schrader valves for those life support applications that involve breathing as it is limited in the volume rate that it can pass.  Additionally, the rescuers will probably find it inconvenient if not impossible to maintain a connection with the Schraeder valve for any length of time (plus they are very susceptible to fouling, corrosion, and bending the internal stem pin).  Cold water makes working with Schraeder fittings even more difficult due to bulky gloves.

Depending on the emergency situation, your bottom time might be very lengthy before the rescue can be affected.  Case in point was the Russian research sub that was stranded off of the west coast of Russia a few years ago and the Johnson Sea Link quite awhile ago.  The sub's locations were known but it took awhile to get them back to the surface.  Increasing the submarine's internal pressure to even minor over pressures will lead to the incursion of a significant decompression obligation.  Without the means to control the internal pressure while rescuers bring the sub to the surface will lead to explosive decompression sickness and/or arterial gas embolism (AGE).  The sub is designed to keep the pressure out, not keep it in and you may find that it will be difficult to gradually decrease the sub's internal pressure when surfacing.  Unfortunately most of our PSUBs are too small to have a mating ring attached to dock with a surface decompression chamber to allow transfer of the sub’s occupants into a surface chamber.

All scientific, military, and tourists submersibles are fitted with external emergency air fittings these days.  It took some nasty incidents in the 20's and 30's for this design change to occur.  In the US, the US Coast Guard should be notified immediately for a SUBMISS or SUBSUNK incident.  They will contact the US Navy who will take over and coordinate rescue efforts.  One of the first questions the Navy will ask is what emergency air fittings are installed.  This will be similar in most other countries who will most likely contact the International Submarine Escape and Rescue Liaison Office (ISMERLO) and the US Navy may still be the response organization.

Based upon the presentation that I made at the last PSUB Conference, extensive discussions outside of the meeting room, and initial contact made with the US Coast Guard in Rockland, ME (local jurisdiction for the upcoming conference), I propose that we have a 2-part rescue workshop including in the upcoming conference.  The workshop would have a discussion session where ideas are tossed around (this can start earlier over the web) that leads to some consensus as to the steps to be taken to affect getting a stranded PSUB back to the surface.  The discussion session would be followed by a practical session at the waterfront where we would actually work at bringing a hull to the surface.  I would invite the USCG to participate in both of these sessions.  These sessions would be followed with my traditional dispensing of rum rations of course to ward off the cold of the Maine waters! J

R/Jay

Respectfully,

Jay K. Jeffries

Andros Is., Bahamas

A skimmer afloat is but a submarine, so poorly built it will not plunge.