Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Outboard Thoughts

Frank,

What if you put the money you would put towards an outboard motor to attach to your sub into a larger more powerful support boat to tow you to your dive location. If your going to have a support boat with you all the time anyways. That way you don't have to try to detach and transfer the fuel tank and motor in a open sea state.    Brent
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 5:21 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Size of pusbs.

Hi Jay. You're right on all counts. I don't expect to be able to stow the outboard inside the sub. It will have to be pulled and loaded into a surface boat that will accompany me when I'm diving. As for the fuel, that is definitely a no-no. I will be using a 5 gallon outboard tank lashed to the out side, and it too will go onto the surface boat.
My original design had a separate pontoon section that would have separated before diving. As it would remain on the surface, I had planned on using it to hold a compressor, a large outboard ( say 70 horse or so) and a generator to supply AC power to the sub through an umbilical and tether arrangement. I still like the idea of being tethered down to fairly shallow depths ( 100 ft ? ) with the extra power a 220 AC line would supply, but dragging a pontoon section around and all the entanglement that may create has put the kabosh on that idea. Haven't completely given up on it though. Frank D.