Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Diving Catalina Island

I've been having the same thoughts lately as I've been installing my vents from my ambient trim tanks.

I decided on 1 1/2" vents for what a guess will be about 10 to 12 cubic feet of air in the forward and largest tank when starting an accent.

So I counting being able to vent 12 cubic feet through a 3 foot 1 1/2 pipe during that last 33 feet of accent.

When the water reaches the bottom of the pipe it will have to vent that too.

If 1 1/2 inches is not enough then I am counting on the size and mass of the boat to retard the acceleration.

Needless to say, my first accent will not be from 35 feet.

I'm also worried about getting enough air into the tanks to offset the compression on decent.  I'm thinking about a couple of valves to allow me to bleed high pressure air directly into the trim tanks.

I have not had the need to do an emergency accent yet.  I'm curious what you felt during and after the accent and did you notice the changes in the volume of air you were expelling?  And did your BCD rupture?

Thanks
Doug J
www.submarineboat.com