Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Series-Parallel OR Parallel-Series

Doug,

I don't know about the proper terminology Series-Parallel or Parallel-Series.  But then, I wouldn't put a lot of faith in that salesman either.

From what you described of the charger, it sounds like each of the three sections of the charger are actually separate chargers.  It's like the three separate batteries you have.  Even though you have three hooked in parallel you can still connect three separate 12 volt lights, one to each of them, if you want.  If the sources and the loads are otherwise isolated from each other, it makes no matter that one wire from each is connected.

The same principal is used to get 120V from each half of a 240V line in your house wiring.

That works fine for series but not on the parallel part.  As you know, in parallel, you have two wires from each battery connected to the next, so they are no longer isolated.  That's where the GOOD SALESMAN comes in.  You say you bought both chargers as he said you should?  Yep!  Maybe GREAT salesman.  I'd talk to their tech folks and find out how the sales guy works his magic.

I bet they tell you can't hook it up that way, with the two chargers, because they won't sense the batteries condition properly.

Dan H.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 10:39 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Series-Parallel OR Parallel-Series

I have eight, 12 volt batteries.  Two are connected in parallel for the starter and other 12 volt stuff and the other six need to be connected in either Series-Parallel or Parallel-Series.  To me, Series-Parallel is connecting 3 batteries in series and then connect that in parallel to the other 3 batteries that are also connected in series.

A picture will help:
http://www.submarineboat.com/sub/images/battery.jpg

I want to connect them in Series-Parallel because its less wire and fewer connectors with two cables, however the tech at www.dualpro.com  where I purchased my Three Bank Pro Chargers told be to connect them in parallel as pairs and then connect the pairs in series, or what I think should be referred to as Parallel-Series.  He was unyielding on his view but also unwilling or unable to explain why.

So is there any difference between Series-Parallel and Parallel-Series?

And all the tech would tell me about how the Pro3 charger worked, was that it electronically isolated the batteries so that disconnects were not needed.  Can someone please explain that bit of magic?  The Three Bank Pro3 charger has 6 leads or a positive and negative for each of 3 batteries.  I have 2 of these
Three Bank Pro3 chargers so I can charge all 6 batteries in the 36 volt supply.

Thanks for the help.
Doug Jackson
Tulsa, OK
www.submarineboat.com