Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] RFC - Radio communications for submersible dive operations

I don't have a marine radio in my sub. I just use a CB type walkie talkie, but I should have one and so should every boat. I think it's a good idea and I'll get one installed in my sub for next season.

Dan H.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray Keefer" <psubs2001@yahoo.com>
To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2007 2:15 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] RFC - Radio communications for submersible dive operations

Hi Folks,

This proposal orginally went out on 22 Sep 2007.
Section 8 says you have 45 days to comment on this
proposal. You have about 15 days left.

Regards,
Ray

--- Jon Wallace <jon@psubs.org> wrote:

Hello psubbers,

Below is an RFC regarding a new guideline to require
Marine Band (VHF)
radios in submersibles during dive operations,
particularly those involving
PSUBS.ORG.  We would like your input.  Hopefully the
text will format
correctly as part of the email and won't require
attachment as a file.

Thanks,
Jon

AUTHOR:         Jon Wallace
ORGANIZATION:   PSUBS.ORG
SUBJECT:        Radio Equipment for Submersible Dive
Operations
RFC ID:         PSUBS-RFC-20070001

***************************
*** REQUEST FOR COMMENT ***
***************************

1. Purpose.
To standardize the radio equipment to be used for
communication between
support personnel and submersible pilots while the
submersible is in
water, but surfaced.

2. Introduction.
Surface communication with submersibles is an
important safety element
that helps both the sub-pilot and ship/shore support
personnel coordinate
pre-dive and post-dive activities.  This is
particularly true in cases
where multiple submersibles are within close
quarters of each other and
participating in an organized event such as the
PSUBS convention.  The
2006 and 2007 PSUBS conventions hosted dive
operations with multiple
submersibles of varying types and capabilities.
Managing these events
in the interests of safety proved to be difficult
due to differences in
equipment, and in some cases, no communication
equipment at all.  It is
to the benefit of everyone involved if a
standardized means of
communication can be implemented for future events.

3. Proposal.
 A) Marine Band (VHF) radios shall be the standard
radio device used for
    communications when a submersible is surfaced
upon any body of water.
 B) As part of the pre-dive planning, the specific
channel used for
    communications shall be determined and agreed
upon by all parties.
 C) Use of such radios shall be in accordance with
laws and regulations
    within the jurisdiction of the dive site.

4. Justification.
 A) Marine Band (VHF) radios are reasonably priced
units that are accepted
    as standard equipment on most surface vessels
throughout the world.
 B) Marine Band (VHF) radios include frequencies
that allow access to
    weather reports.  This can be important
information for diving
    operations.
 C) Marine Band (VHF) radios include a specific
emergency channel (16)
    that is monitored by all seagoing traffic not
involved in any
    ship-to-ship or ship-to-shore communication, and
the US Coast Guard
    within the United States coastal waters.
 D) Marine Band (VHF) radios are available as either
base units or hand-held
    units which allows sub-owners flexibility when
incorporating the radio
    into their existing submersible or designing
their submersible.
 E) Marine Band (VHF) radios can be operated
directly off of internal power
    within the submersible, or from independent
batteries or internal power
    in the case of hand-held units.
 F) Marine Band (VHF) radios have transmission power
that exceeds most
    other non-license type communication devices,
thereby fostering clear
    communications.

5. Requirements.
   None.

6. Dependencies.
   None.

7. Enforcement.
This is a voluntary safety standard.  However, if
this standard is adopted
by PSUBS.ORG, submersible owners/pilots who do not
have the capability to
perform surface communication via FCC approved
Marine Band (VHF)
frequencies will not be allowed to dive at PSUBS.ORG
sponsored events.
Those submersibles that do not meet this
communication criteria are still
encouraged to attend and participate in the static
display portion of the
event.

8. Comment Deadline.
Comments will no longer be accepted 45 days after
the first posting of this
proposal.

9. Comment Evaluation.
All comments will be evaluated for potential
inclusion in the standard
within 30 days after the comment deadline.

the US Federal
CAN-SPAM Act of 2003.  Your email address appears in
our database
because either you, or someone you know, requested
you receive messages
from our organization.

If you want to be removed from this mailing list
simply click on the

Removal of your email address from this mailing list
occurs by an
automated process and should be complete within five
minutes of
our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG
PO Box 53