RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Viewports

 When I have troubles like bubbles on my glass, I ask my self, what would Scooby do. ; )'

This reminded me of an older post in this forums archive I saved, called "Bubbles on  Dome" Below I've pasted the old post. They are talking about using a product like Rain-X to make the acrylic more hydrophilic. Perhaps polycarbonate would have less trouble in this regard.  I know I had this same problem with any aquarium that had been dry for a awhile. It didn't make a difference of whether they where glass or acrylic, fresh or saltwater tanks. I just had to get in there a wipe the bubbles off. Perhaps you can install windshield washers on the inside surface of the flooded acrylic fairing or never let those windows become dry. ; )

Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] bubbles on dome

Alan,

A quick google search indicates that acrylic can be either hydrophilic (
i.e., strong affinity for water) or hydrophobic (affinity for oils) .  My
guess is that yours is hydrophobic.  You can tell by placing a drop of water
on the viewport and observing if it wants to bead up ( hydrophobic) or smear
out (hydrophilic). If its hydrophobic, then small micro imperfections in the
acrylic viewport will contain very small air bubble that act as nucleation
points for larger air bubbles.   If this is so, (just a guess) then, you
might be able to use a product sold to make rain water sheet on windshields.
This makes the surface, at least for a while, more hydrophilic. Auto supply
stores carry this type of product.  Just a thought.

Cliff