To: <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2007 2:29 PM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] PSUBS and FBI

Fingers crossed we shall see some of these drug subs coming up for
auction at very reasonable prices at the police auctions!

every cloud has a silver lining.

On 8/24/07, Jon Wallace <jon@psubs.org> wrote:

Hello,

Given the growing popularity of using submersibles for illegal and/or
suspicious activities, the federal government is interested in knowing more
about psub type submersibles.  One thing I've not seen anyone talk about
regarding the convention yet, is that we were approached by a special agent of the FBI on Friday at the dive site. I had accounted for all participants
except for Frank D, and not having met him before I didn't know what he
looked like.  Shortly after we arrived at the dive location, I saw a
gentleman walking down the path.  I approached him and said "Frank?"
anticipating that Frank D. had arrived. He said "no", then looked at me and
said "Jon?".  I said "yes", and he then pulled out his FBI identification
(Special Agent David Smith), explained why he was there, and asked to learn
more about the submersibles we use.

Agent Smith made it clear from the outset that we were not doing anything
illegal and he was not there to stop us from using our submersibles or
continuing with our convention. I brought him around to the various subs we
had on site, explained how they functioned, and also explained the
difference between 1-ATM, ambient, and wet-subs.  I then invited him to
speak to us the next day at the seminar we were holding, which he agreed to do. Agent Smith spoke to the assembled group on Saturday and explained that
after the sub/QE2 incident in New York recently, the FBI was researching
small subs. He explained that in the post-9/11 environment, the FBI would like us to remain vigilant and report any suspicious requests, discussions, or activity that might seem out of the realm of what a recreational/personal
submersible might be used for.

Given another drug sub capture, we can expect continuing attention to our
hobby.

Jon

our server receiving your request.

PSUBS.ORG