Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Aqua Jet Cutting Acrylic

Ian,

I dont hope anyone here simply dives with a window - because they have calculated it can take the pressure. Unlike the complete hull - a vindow can easyly be tested.

We have made a very simple test stand for our diam 200 windows. E.g. Kraka has a number of 15 mm thick 200 mm diam windows. We typically dive Kraka to 30 feet, and sometimes to 60 - 70 feet - or in our units some 20 meters. A test window like the ones we used went into the test stand that mimics the bolts and flanges of the real boat and was tested to destruction. At 280 meters it developed a small crack - and this was accepted as failure. This type then goes into Kraka for dives to 20 meters.

For UC-3 we have designed a window that can undergo tests on the spot - that is in the frame that it will later be used in. Those window are also 200 mm, and the design may fit thickness up to 80 mm - however we are planning to use 40 mm acrylic. We are yet to test it - but my guess is that burst pressure here is in the order of 1000 meters. UC-3 is designed for 100 meters.

We do not make any heat treatments - but I might change that.

Anyway - materials can fool you - and I don't not claim our procedures are safe - only that it seams unlikely to me that they are very dangerous. There are cases where airplane parts loaded to only a very small fraction of their short term strength have failed with catastrophic results. But - this is how we do it.

Peter

--
Jeg beskyttes af den gratis SPAMfighter til privatbrugere.
Den har indtil videre sparet mig for at få 21541 spam-mails.