RE: [PSUBS-MAILIST] MIR aft planes

How about a non educated guess. ; )'

Thanks for the link to the pic Joe. I would "GUESS" that the aft plane is controlled my the pilot directly or by hydraulics or the like. The swept-back feature is for coolness factor Joe. Na for that I would say it helps if you lightly hit some thing you'll just bounce off and keep going instead of braking the aft plane, but more importantly I would say its for reducing entanglement issues. That is why I like to have surfaces on my sub rounded over and swept back to some degree, with no item protruding forward like the weapons systems on the Star Wars X-wing fighter.

On another note since the aft plane is acting like a planes elevator, having the said aft plane up and out of the way of the swirling water coming off the subs hull, gives the pilot more control then if its down and directly behind the sub.  This is why allot of ships are now using forward facing props, that pull instead of push. This is more efficient since the water hasn't be really disturbed yet and you can get a better directional bit into it.

I would say that the whole stabilizer assembly also really helps to deal with vortex shedding. But for that I would use a larger assembly.

I like the Kort nozzle on the sub, or is that a Rice nozzle? From what I understand the Rice nozzle is more efficient.

I wish they would add some soft saddle tanks to the Muir subs, to give them more freeboard staybility. Allot of people get really sick in them when at the surface. Watching the Zodiac cowboys try to attach the crane cables to the subs in rough water is one of the reasons I started designing trimaran subs. I know that adding tanks to the subs gives them more hydo drag, but that is another one of these trade-offs we have been talking about.

Regards,
Brent Hartwig