Strain Gauging - was Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Is ABS Reliable?

Incidentally, if anyone here is involved in an ABS certified project, I would
like to offer my expertise in this area.  I have extensive experience with
strain gauging, finite element modelling and calibrating computer models
against field stress measurements to predict stresses in ungauged locations,
and estimate fatigue life of structures and/or specific weld details within a
structure.  I provide these services to the mining industry - typically on
haul trucks, electric cable shovels and walking draglines, but the principles
are equally applicable to subs.  I can, of course, offer a full consulting
service at my professional rate where required, but I'm happy to provide a
bit of guidance to the DIY'er with regard to strain gauging - it's not rocket
surgery.

-Sean